Sweet and Sour Chicken
Servings: 4 People
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into thin batons
- 1 red pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 small cans pineapple rings in juice each ring cut into quarters
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice from the canned pineapples
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar with stevia
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 25 g piece fresh root ginger peeled and finely grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 small skinless chicken fillets
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 200 g uncooked basmati rice cooked according to packet instructions
- Prepare all of the vegetables
- Mix the soy sauce, white wine vinegar, tomato puree, brown sugar, pineapple juice, ginger and garlic in a measuring jug. Top up with water to make 400ml of liquid. Stir together well until the tomato puree has dissolved into the mixture
- Slice the chicken into bite-sizes strips.
- Heat the oil in the wok and fry the chicken over a medium heat until cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the wok, drain on absorbent kitchen roll, and keep warm.
- To make the sauce, add the pepper, onion and carrot to the wok and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes; adding a little water if the vegetables start sticking to the pan.
- Stir the liquid ingredients from the jug again, and then pour over the vegetables in the wok. Stir together well and cook on a high heat until the sauce boils.
- Start cooking the rice according to packet instructions
- Dissolve the cornflour in a little water then add to the wok with the vegetables to thicken the sauce, stirring well.
- Stir in the pineapple and chicken and cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Drain the rice.
- Divide the rice evenly between 4 warmed plates then spoon the sweet and sour sauce over the top