Chicken and tomato pasta bake
Rustle up this comforting pasta bake for a flavour-packed midweek meal. Featuring a fragrant tomato sauce and topped with yummy cheese, it is perfect for cosying up with on cooler nights.
- 200 g dried wholemeal conchiglie pasta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 200 g cooked chicken cut into chunks
- 400 g can cherry tomatoes
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 dessertspoon tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon stevia granules
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- ½ leaves from fresh supermarket basil plant cut into small pieces
- 30 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 60 g extra mature cheddar cheese grated
- Prepare the vegetables, garlic and chicken
- Preheat oven to, 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 8.
- Cook the pasta following the packet instructions in plenty of boiling water. Drain and set to one side.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic then fry for 5 mins, to soften.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oregano and stir together well.
- Add the cornflour to the pan and stir until all of the cornflour has been absorbed. Add a little water if the vegetables start to stick to the pan
- Add the chopped chicken, stevia granules, both cans of tomatoes and the tomato puree to the pan, then bring to a simmer,
- Stir in the basil, double cream and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir until the cream has been fully incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix together well.
- Transfer the mixture to a large oven-proof dish
- Scatter on the cheddar cheese, parmesan and the rest of the oregano over the top
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 – 25 mins, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve on warmed plates
If you’re like me, not a fan a of the mouthfeel of wholemeal pasta shapes ‘penne’ and ‘fusilli’ then trust me that you’ll love the wholemeal conchiglie pasta shape as it has the mouthfeel of white pasta with the fibre content of wholemeal. Happy days!